Time to get back to the Age of Shakespeare, the non-Shakespeare
parts. Please read along if it strikes
you. Last spring’s reading list was a
bit of a trip to graduate school; this fall’s syllabus is nothing but
masterpieces of one kind or another.
A new king was in London, and a new court, with new tastes,
and more importantly for my purposes some new writers, the best of them deeply
influenced by William Shakespeare. The
London theater audience had perhaps grown a little tired of the endless
revivals of The Spanish Tragedy and had developed a sophisticated
sub-audience interested in new voices.
Here is my plan, which I will surely meet occasionally, a
new play every other Monday, with some other related topic on the other
Mondays:
I have previously read all of these but The Roaring Girl. Jonson hits his peak, one great, original
comedy after another, with one more to come in 1614. Two great revenge tragedies, the name of the
one suggesting that we are at a turning point for the genre. Chapman’s play is a historical tragedy. The Knight of the Burning Pestle is another
unique comedy, full of surprises, easy to recommend to everyone (Jonson can get
a little obscure). This soon becomes the
age of “Beaumont & Fletcher,” the age of tragicomedy. I picked A Maid’s Tragedy almost arbitrarily,
out of many outstanding candidates.
The Shakespeare-influenced new writers are John Fletcher,
Thomas Middleton, and John Webster. Two
would collaborate with Shakespeare, and the other hung around Shakespeare’s theater
company when he was a dirty street urchin.
I hope to read several more Middleton plays from this period but his
peak, by reputation is in the next decade.
Here is a bit of what else was happening in English theater:
All of the years, I should point out, are approximate, but
they are likely a lot more accurate than the last time I did this exercise.
The expanded second edition of Francis Bacon’s Essays
appeared in 1612. The best lyric poet of
the period, John Donne, published The First Anniversary in 1611, but was
otherwise utterly uninterested in publication. The other best poet, Ben Jonson, would start
publishing in a few years, but not quite yet.
Jonson also wrote for the courtly masques of Inigo Jones, the
great innovator of spectacle, of pure theater. I have read a handful of Jonson’s masques, and
they are often poetic marvels. I hope to
read many more soon.
Any requests? I can
take requests. This is exciting set of
plays.

No comments:
Post a Comment