Friday, March 11, 2022

Antigone by Sophocles - I know / that wild and futile action makes no sense.

 ISMENE:                                               I know

 that wild and futile action makes no sense. (p. 161)

Antigone’s sister is trying to undermine the very premise of Greek drama, of literature.

Long, long ago, I read Sophocles’s Antigone (c. 441 BCE) in a class naively titled “Western Civilization,” which was required of all liberal arts undergraduates at my university.  So everybody had to read one Greek play, this one, before exiting college.  Almost everybody – not the engineers, I guess, and too bad for them.  Although I knew the Greek stories pretty well, Antigone was thus the first Greek play I ever read.

Pretty good choice for if-you-only-read-one.  Antigone, even for Sophocles, feels classical, ethically serious and dramatically balanced, the kind of play from which a literary critic will derive rules.  When I describe Euripides as a “screwball,” it is in comparison to plays like Antigone, which invite later art like William Henry Rinehart’s 1870 sculpture “Antigone Pouring a Libation over the Corpse of Her Brother Polynices,” on view at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

In Western Civ, we turned Antigone, and every other text assigned, into an ethical debate.  Duty to the state versus duty to – what, exactly, is Antigone serving?  Religion, higher law, family, the integrity of the self.  Jean Anouilh, in his 1944 existentialist adaptation, pushes strongly towards the self, while Seamus Heaney, partly inspired to adapt the play as a protest against the American war in Iraq, in The Burial at Thebes (2004 ) is more interested in the justness of the law, in human rights (p. 76).  Antigone at times, at her least sympathetic, comes across as a religious fanatic, guilty only of what she calls “the crime of piety” (161), although she is usually more sympathetic:

ANTIGONE:  I cannot share in hatred, but love.

CREON:  Then go down there, if you must love, and love

     the dead.  No woman rules me while I live.

Creon, as usual, has a point but goes too far.  His animus against women, specifically, is mentioned several times, as is his blinding materialism.  He seems more worried about bribery than anything else – that his guards or the prophet Teresias are against him because they have been bribed.  No wonder he has so little understanding of divine law. 

Now I am wandering.  I was surprised to see that the Guard is a legitimate clown role, much like in Shakespeare.  Jean Anouilh greatly expanded the part, but a lot of it is right there in Sophocles.  Here is the guard not clowning:

We saw the girl.  She cried the sharp and shrill

cry of a bitter bird which sees the nest

bare where the young birds lay.  (173)

I have trouble, in the Greek plays, sorting through the metaphorical language, distinguishing between the clichés and the original images.  The “ship of state,” right, that shows up constantly, including in Antigone; everyone drags in that one.  But this image of bereaved animal motherhood applied to Antigone seeing her brother’s desecrated corpse, that seemed original and interestingly ironic.  Antigone has a few of these. 

Antigone begins at dawn.  How many of the plays we have read so far begin at dawn?  Agamemnon, Ajax, etc.  I have not kept track.

All of the translations here are by Elizabeth Wyckoff.  I would likely prefer to see a performance using the Heaney translation because it is easier to understand, not necessarily a virtue while reading or looking for quotations.

As perfect as the Rinehart statue is, I was tempted by another Met-owned piece, an 1893 lithograph by Henri Toulouse-Lautrec of a performance of Antigone.  And why not include it, too.


Next week, we move to Rhesus by Euripides (probably), his earliest play (probably).  It is a good choice for if-you-only-skip-one.  I remember it as a dud.  How lucky we are to have so many Euripides plays that some of them are duds.  Well, I’ll take another look at it.

11 comments:

  1. I taught Antigone as one of the texts for the junior level of an interdisciplinary program, under the course title "The dilemma of existence." Students then (around 2005) admired what they described as Antigone's refusal to compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a good fit. The existentialists were not wrong about the play. Antigone is so human. I can imagine a lot of student sympathy. There is an element of Antigone in The Hunger Games, for example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have expected you to mention The Hunger Games, Tom.

      Delete
    2. I guess 2005 is a bit early for The Hunger Games. The internet is full of student essays, available at a bargain price, comparing Antigone and The Hunger Games.

      Delete
    3. For various complicated reasons, Judith Butler was my last point of contact with Antigone. I have a hard time reading the play while putting aside all the various uses that were made of it during a certain period of criticism. I need to see it on a stage! http://cup.columbia.edu/book/antigones-claim/9780231118958

      Delete
    4. Yes, it is hard to come to Antigone "innocent," and a strong critic like Butler makes it impossible.

      I would love to see this one performed.

      Delete
  3. The Theban plays were the first of the Greeks I read, many decades ago, so "Antigone" would've been the third one I ever read. I remember being baffled by the Oedipus plays, but "Antigone" made a great deal of sense right away. A truly timeless theme. It's a wonder that Shakespeare never wrote a version, though you do get the lovers' suicide in a tomb in "Romeo and Juliet," I guess.

    I'm getting behind in this project; I couldn't find time to reread "Antigone" last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oedipus at Colonus must have been especially strange. It will be a fitting end to the chronological Greek tragedies, just perfect, really.

    Rhesus gives people a good space to catch up on the plays. I mean, it's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re Anouilh's Antigone (1944), I learned a lot from this paper by Mary Ann Frese Witt, who studied the influence of fascism on French and Italian literature: "Fascist Ideology and Theater Under the Occupation: The Case of Anouilh." I highly recommend that paper to anyone reading the play, as it goes deep into its reception at the time it premiered. (It includes some wild anecdotes, such as the banning of the impeccably Fascist Pirandello on the Vichy stage due to his translator into French being Jewish).

    His Antigone is an excellent play but I'm convinced it's often taught completely wrong in terms of historical context, eg the whole Antigone=the French Resistance analogy appears to be unsound. There is a dichotomy of purity versus compromise, adolescence versus adulthood, which is fascinating, but it doesn't lead to that analogy, at least not intentionally on Anouilh's part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my comment here got eaten but basically it was that I think Mary Ann Frese Witt (translator of Pirandello) has got a great interpretation of Anouilh's Antigone in her paper "Fascist ideology and theater under occupation: the case of Anouilh." It looks into the contemporary reception of the play in 1944 and contains a lot of interesting primary source quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the pointer to the paper. How useful.

    You are describing where I ended up with Anouilh's Antigone. The desire to retrospectively make it a Resistance play is clearly strong, but not supported by the text, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete