Wednesday, August 24, 2022

On learning Portuguese

Last October I began taking a Portuguese class.  Since January I have been reading literature, real literature, in Portuguese.  I thought I would write a note about the How and Why of that.

The Why:  My French is decent now.  My French reading.  I always have a book in French going, and I read whatever I want.  However slow my pace, that makes me an advanced reader in French.

So it was time for an experiment.  Could I use what I have learned about learning French to learn another language faster than I learned French?  Have I learned something about learning, was the question?

The How: It had to be a Romance language, so I could apply my French and for that matter my Spanish, which at points in my life was not so bad, although never quite at the level to read seriously.  The choice between Italian and Portuguese was arbitrary, but we were taking a little vacation to Portugal in December, so why not Portuguese.  We took a class – minha esposa is learning Portuguese, too – from a local Brazilian.  We visited Lisbon and the Azores and spoke a bit of limited but actual Portuguese, and bought books in Portuguese at Europe’s oldest continually operating bookstore.  Of course, what I really want is to be able to do is read Portuguese.  When will I ever need to speak it, really?

I also want greater understanding of the lyrics of great Brazilian songwriters like Gilberto Gil and Tom Zé.  Just this year, at the age of 85, Zé released a superb album that is actually about Brazilian Portuguese, Lingua Brasilieira, or Brazilian Tongue.  My resentment of Bob Dylan’s Nobel is that it was not shared with Gilberto Gil.  I have digressed.

My first book in Portuguese was the tiny As Fadas Verdes (The Green Fairies) by Matilde Rosa Araujo, a book of children’s poems, appropriate for third graders, which I know because it says so on the cover.  I advanced quickly, to Contos e Ledas de Portugal e do Mundo (Tales and Legends of Portugal and the World), “recommended for the 5th year,” and O Pássaro da Cabeça (The Bird of the Head) by Manuel António Pina, “required for the 5th year.”  The tales were a mix of the familiar (Grimm) and the new, which did not hurt; nor did the fact that Pina’s children’s poems were quite good.  I was just starting, and I was reading literature.


You can see the stamp on the covers: “Ler+, Plano Nacional de Leitura.”  These are assigned books, part of the “national reading plan” in a country that had one of the lowest literacy rates in Europe not so long ago (fifty years ago in not so long).  I want to emphasize – this is something I learned studying French – that if the goal of language study is to read literature, it is helpful to get a sense of the reading level of various books, and the easy way to do that is to see what is assigned in school.  Push yourself, but not to the point of frustration.

It will be a long time before I can read, in Portuguese, a novel by José Saramago or a book of stories by Miguel Rosa, but in the last eight months I have read stories by Eça de Queiroz, Alexandre Herculano, and Machado de Assis, and poems – entire books of poems – by Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Sophiade Mello Breyner Andresen, Eugénio de Andrade, Antero de Quental, and Fernando Pessoa, in the guise of Alberto Caeiro, the shepherd poet.  The anthology Primeiro Livro de Poesia (First Book of Poetry) assembled by Andresen, a book of poems from throughout the Portuguese world and  not really for children but suitable for children, was expansively useful:


I have never read anything else by writers from Timor or São Tomé and Príncipe.  Note the “Ler+” mark on the book, and the separate stamp celebrating Andresen’s centenary.

Since I am reading literature, and poems, the vocabulary I am learning is not always so useful.  Dawn, dusk, sword, fairy, angel, dew.  Lots of horsey words; lots of parts of castles, lots of seashore vocabulary.  A great surprise, since the idea was to read Portuguese, is that because of the recent appearance of Angolan immigrants in Portland I have, in real life, been speaking Portuguese: “Thank you for waiting,” Please have a seat,” and so on.  How helpful to have even a little bit of Portuguese.  What luck.  Italian would have been useless.

My “Currently Reading” box does not have anything in Portuguese now because I am not reading but studying grammar, which will last exactly as long as I can stand it.  Then back to the pleasures of Machado de Assis, or perhaps a 19th century poet.  A great disadvantage of studying Portuguese, compared to French, is that the availability of texts, whether electronic or physical, is much spottier in the United States.  And Portuguese has nothing like Georges Simenon, who wrote a huge number of engaging books with an easy reading level.  How many American readers kept up their college French with the help of Simenon?

What I am trying to say is that the experiment has been a success, and I recommend it to anyone who has the time and concentration.  Take a class, then start reading.

14 comments:

  1. I have done the same thing with German, and have studied fir several years. German is harder than French, yet easier to start. Like you I am studying grammar at the moment. However, I shall switch to grammar plus reading in the winter. I love the idea of reading set texts for school to start. My aim is to read Thomas Mann in German, if I live that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're making progress. Next time we go to the Azores we'll have to take you not as a guest but as the interpreter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know how Mann is used in the German curriculum, but he is a good example because of the variety of lengths and levels of difficulty of his work. The stories in the Little Herr Friedemann collection must be good for the not-so-experienced German learner. Read just one of those and you have read Mann in German!

    French sixth graders, let's call them, read Molière, a bit of fluff called Les Fourberies de Scapin, so I read that early on. It's a long ways from Tartuffe in difficulty, but I had read Molière in French, by gum.

    Progress, yes, clear progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My understanding is that Death in Venice is the common Mann read in German schools. I don't think there's a common curriculum in Germany the way there is in Frankreich, but I think every German kid graduates hating Effi Breist and The Sorrows of Young Werther. The prose in Breist is supposed to be great in German, so I might read that someday.

    When I was in school I learned conversational German, which is pretty much useless for reading, so for the last decade or so I've been trying to read a couple of German novels each year. I read pretty slowly in German, and sometimes I just concentrate on learning my Grammar better or just working with a frequency dictionary to improve my vocabulary. Inspired by this post, I did some looking at middle grade/high school (or their equivalents) reading in German schools and have made a list of stuff that's easier than Heinrich Boll and Schiller. Just now I'm reading A Farewell to Arms in German, a good time. I had not noticed, when I read it in English, how much attention Hemingway pays to the landscape, to the condition of roads. He's obsessed with roads. I'm also learning a bunch of military vocabulary that I will forget within a year, probably.

    I've read Schiller and Goethe in German! Two or three poems from each of them. Short poems.

    In college I took a class called "Reading Modern Russian," which was supposed to equip us to read "Pravda." I learned no conversational Russian, which is what I really wanted to learn. How to order a meal, not how to read Tolstoy. Priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I forgot to close an italics html tag. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this very impressive! I set out to learn Italian once but never made it very far (though I have memorized the words to many opera arias, so who knows, maybe one day vocabulary about love and blood and death and revenge will come in useful?). And in graduate school I was required to "learn" German which I dutifully did by way of an intensive summer course - at the end of which I was reading. But I promptly forgot all of it within a couple of months because it turns out I did not in fact need it for my research. Anyway, well done you. I love the sound of Portuguese: it's so distinctive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, it's me, Rohan! Somehow my comment posted anonymously.

      Delete
  7. Ah, but do you love the sound of Portuguese Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese? The latter sounds like Spanish but with more zhoozh; the former sounds vaguely Slavic but is basically incomprehensible (like Danish in the Germanic family). Me, I like the Brazilian variety (Gilberto Gil et al.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Brazilian, I guess, is the Portuguese I have heard, via songs, mostly.

      Delete
  8. The common curriculum in France is a lot less common than it used to be, but it is still set nationally, while I presume the German system is federal. Still, I would love to know what and how much is commonly assigned at different grades in Bavaria or wherever. Is Death in Venice for the last year of the gymnasium, the third year of vocational school, or what? The Germans split students into tracks earlier than the French.

    Effi Briest does have good prose. I've written about some other Fontane works, but not that one.

    In French I have at times actually sought out books just to improve my vocabulary in certain areas, for example a boy's adventure novel with a lot of shipboard stuff. I wanted to improve my ship vocabulary. Useless to me in real life, but how often have I needed parts of the ship and types of sails and so on in literature!

    Rohan, thanks. I have heard from other real opera fans that the arias really did make learning Italian easier. As if the beauty of the language, extraordinary literature, and the enriched travel in Italy are not incentive enough.

    With the caveat that my Portuguese teacher was Brazilian, we have found Brazilian Portuguese easy to understand and Portuguese Portuguese impossible. I need those vowels - please stop dropping all the vowels! The Azoreans are somewhere in between. The Angolans use Portuguese vocabulary but clear, formal pronunciation closer to Brazil, so I can understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I somehow missed this earlier, but well done, that sounds great! I am very impressed that you can now read it well enough. I have been meaning to learn Brazilian Portuguese all my life, but have now resigned myself to Italian, which is closer to Romanian. I read Jhumpa Lahiri's bilingual In Other Words and thought I understood most of the Italian, but that might be because I had the English version alongside it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One important thing I have learned - internalized - from French study is how slow slow slow reading Portuguese will be. But now I know, I am okay with it.

    Sometimes I read with the English alongside. It is a good exercise, once in a while. Too much would lead to laziness, I suspect.

    I also suspect if you read something like The Complete Poems of Alberto Caeiro, recently translated by Margaret Jull Costa and Patricio Ferrari, you would also find Portuguese to be surprisingly readable. Caeiro is Pessoa's "shepherd poet," so the vocabulary is not bad at all.

    "resigned to Italian" is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always an inspiration, Tom--what a wonderful side project! Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Six months later I am still groping forward in Portuguese, however slowly.

    ReplyDelete