Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back from Senegal

So I go away for a while, and I find the Wuthering Expectations comments stuffed with useful information about German literature in translation, the chronology of Jane Eyre, and who knows what else. "What's been going on here?" I thought. Lots of good stuff to sort through, thanks.

Senegal is an amazing place. You should all go. Especially if you earn a living in a currency that other than dollars, in which case, go now. No, not now, since the weather is getting worse. In the fall, or next spring.

As a vacation, our trip had some odd features. Activities included, for example:

Powerpoint presentations by college students.
More than one meeting with Senegalese rappers.
Helping haul in a fishing net (for which I earned a fish).
Catholic Mass in French and Wolof, with kora accompaniment.

There was also more tourist-like tourism. And great food, great art, and, mostly, great people. Especially the latter.

I think I'll use the American holiday to gather my thoughts on this strange, rich trip.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Glad to see you popping up on my bloglines feed again, and to hear that you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you had a good trip - its good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Senegalese rappers? Um, I think we need some more info here! Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a good trip. I've heard Senegal is a nice place. My sister's best friend spent two years there in the Peace Corp and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear more about your trip! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot. Trips to developing countries are a challenge. Exhausting in some ways, invigorating in others.

    As for the rappers, more to come, definitely.

    ReplyDelete