Monday, July 1, 2024

Three weeks in Portugal

I was in Portugal for three weeks in June.  Five hours a day for four days I was in this inlingua classroom in Porto, or one much like it:



The results:


B1 in Portuguese after about two years of fairly relaxed study – relaxed until those four days – which seems pretty good.  Maybe B2 in reading (standards defined here).  An enjoyable part of this visit to Portugal, my fourth, is that I could aggressively buy books:


And also:


And even moreso:


The Portuguese school curriculum includes an anthology of historic shipwrecks.

Still a while before I can, or I mean dare, read Saramago or Lispector in Portuguese, but I have plenty to read until then.

I strongly encourage anyone who does not overcome with anxiety at the idea of taking a language class to take an immersive class in the relevant place.  Cavilam in Vichy is pleasant, for example.  They give you a test and drop you right into a class.

I put a photo on Twitter every day, mostly adding to my collection of Pessoaiana.  Pessoa soap, Pessoa dish towels.  The Fernando Pessoa brand expands with Portuguese tourism, my puzzle being that so few people who did not go to a Portuguese-language school have any idea who he is.  Yet his image is everywhere, on everything.


A minor pleasure was this photo of a Pessoa board game, photographed in a museum gift shop, that went mildly viral, my only such experience.  At this moment, 481 likes, 37,000 views, whatever any of that means.  I wonder how many copies I sold.  The main use of Twitter is advertising, and turning  its users into marketers.  Still, it was amusing.



It was an extremely educational vacation.  Many thanks, as usual, to St. Orberose for his time and advice.  How sad that I cannot link to his blog anymore, but he is busy with his novel.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I recommend intensive language courses for making rapid progress, but they are exhausting!
    BTW As a beginner reader of French novels, I find the French equivalent of YA (Young Adult) novels easier to start with. Not too long, language structures that aren't too complex, and not too much in the way of metaphor... but though occasionally tricky with contemporary urban slang, they often come with interesting themes so they can be quite satisfying to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The French are meticulous about reading level for educational purposes. So helpful to the language learner. The Portuguese are pretty good at it, too.

    Living in France, learning the language, I spent a fair amount of time checking about books form the children's section before at some point discovering I could handle Maupassant stories. My choices were a bit more "classic" than contemporary, but the idea was the same.

    ReplyDelete