Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Best Books of 2024

For the last year and a half I read short books, mostly, which was psychologically satisfying and anyway necessary to fit the available energy and concentration.  Now, though, back on my feet, I hope, I am ready to read long books again.

Long, and I mean it, like Rebecca West’s 1,150 page Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (1941), a novelistic tour through Yugoslavia mixed with a fragmented Gibbon-like history of the region.  I am almost halfway through without losing much enthusiasm.

My chronological drift has taken me into the 1940s, and I plan to read a number of the major works of the decade.  Nothing else I am likely to read comes close to West’s monster, although The Second Sex tops 700 pages.  But in the last couple of years I passed over a number of likely books because they were too long, so now is the time to gather them up.  Is A Glastonbury Romance (1932) really almost 1,200 pages?  Was John Cowper Powys out of his mind?  Gertrude Stein’s The Making of Americans (1925), under a thousand, seems almost reasonable, Louis-Ferdinand Céline’s Journey to the End of the Night (1932) a breeze at 600, except I hope to read it in French, and Finnegans Wake (1939) practically a novella, except that it is written in the style of Finnegans Wake.

Yes, of course, this post is some kind of post-surgery overreaction.  Now I will read Finnegans Wake!  Now I will read The Tale of Genji!  And so on.  I am aware.  Although last summer, wondering what the first readers of Finnegans Wake saw, I read the first four or five installments published in 1924 and 1925 under the noncommittal title “Work in Progress” and found the idea of reading more plausible.

I greatly enjoyed my little immersion in Indian literature a couple of months ago, where I mixed classical epics and poetry with modern novels.  I want to do that again.  Several times even.

First: Persian literature.  Dick Davis has been publishing piece of Ferdawsi’s Shahnameh (1010) for decades.  His latest version (2016) is just under a thousand pages; I doubt that is half of the entire epic, likely the longest ever written by a single person.  Along with Ferdawsi I could read Attar’s The Conference of the Birds (1177) and the poetry of Rumi (12th c.) and Hafez (13th c.), all of which have been translated by Davis.  Maybe, looking at modern novels, I could try My Uncle Napoleon (1973) by Iraj Pezeshkzad, translated by, let’s see, Davis again.  Any Persian expedition is likely to become the Dick Davis show.  Well, it is a great lifetime achievement, and he is a fine poet in his own right, as I know from his 2009 collection Belonging: Poems.

Second: Arabic literature.  The One Thousand and One Nights, not necessarily such a long book depending on exactly which texts are included in the translation.  The 2021 Annotated Arabian Nights is a beauty.  I am not sure what else I might read.  A browse through the Library of Arabic Literature will find something.  Naguib Mahfouz’s Midaq Alley is from 1947, so that is an easy choice.  I wonder what his earlier novels about ancient Egypt are like?

Third: Japanese literature.  The Tale of Genji (11th c.) and The Pillow Book (1002) alongside Ivan Morris’s The World of the Shining Prince: Court Life in Ancient Japan (1964).  Then move to The Tale of Heike (14th c.) and some more recent works, more Sōseki and Tanizaki and Kawabata, maybe.

Fourth: Chinese literature.  One of the early novels, like Romance of the Three Kingdoms (14th c.), likely in some still enormous abridgement, followed by The Story of the Stone (1791-2).  Then, or alongside, some novels from the 1940s, Eileen Chang’s Love in a Fallen City (1943) and Qian Zhongshu’s Fortress Besieged (1947).

For example.  Let’s say.  Maybe these are the best books of 2024 and 2025.  Or 2035.  No, look, one big book per month is twelve books.  Maybe I really get ten read, or eight.  That’s pretty good.  That’s not pure bluster.

If anybody would like to recommend a Persian, Arabic, etc. book, short or long, classical or contemporary, please do.  If anyone would like to read along with one of these beasts, please let me know. They all seem like terrible readalong books, since they are exactly the books where the pace should not be forced and the reader’s right to give up halfway – a tenth of the way – through is paramount.  Still, let me know.

Now I need to get writing about Ovid.  Speaking of whom, if anyone wants to continue reading Roman literature in my company, I am completely open to the idea.  Let’s say you have joined me with Plautus, Terence, Lucretius, Ovid, Seneca the playwright, and Seneca the Stoic.  We still have Virgil, lots of great lyric and satirical poets, Pharsalia, Satyricon, Cicero, a shelf of famous historians I have never read, and St. Augustine.  Lots of interesting things.  Julius Caesar, I’ve never read Caesar.  Let me know, let me know.

Thanks for indulging the silliest-sounding thing I have ever written here.

30 comments:

  1. Have you read 'The Makioka Sisters'? That would be a nice, longish Japanese choice (serialised in the mid-40s, too...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be cheering for The Tale of Genji.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am up for Japanese literature, and more Roman histories. I am reading Ancient Historians by Michael Grant, it includes Roman and Greek writers, but also Babylonian, Hittite , Egyptian, and Sumerian Historians. I haven't finished Ovid yet, as I was in no hurry, its great to luxuriating in the stories. However, I could quickly finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makioka Sisters, yes, two posts beginning here. A good, testy comment exchange in that one. Still a puzzle.

    Genji is doable this year, I say to myself, confidently.

    Most of Powys' books! Impressive. Purple prose is the prose for me.

    The Grant book sounds fascinating, also my kind of thing.

    I will write up books 2 to 5 of Ovid this week, and do 6 to 10 in January, 11 to 15 in February. Then I will move to the exile books, probably. The Persian reading will get moving once I have finished Rebecca West, so I assume in early February. One colossal book at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which translation of Genji will you be reading?
      You can always turn to my blog if you're confused about characters (though I doubt you would need it lol).

      Delete
    2. Tyler, the hard one, no question about that.

      Delete
  5. Makioka Sisters, yes, two posts beginning here.

    Actually, beginning here; I was sadly floundering until I figured out the misordering. I tried Genji a couple of years ago (Tyler, supplemented with the earlier ones, which I had accumulated over the years) but quit after it became apparent that every chapter involved a rape. I may pick it up again eventually, but at the time I just didn't want any more of that. (And yes, I know that one must be mindful of cultural and historical context, bla bla.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should - I will fix that link. Thanks.

    My current preoccupation is Metamorphoses, so too many sexual assaults is obviously not a dealbreaker, not right now.

    Genji is a bit of a Jove figure, a god of his little world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wait, the link is in comments, forget fixing it. If you wander by, go to languagehat's link first!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read Glastonbury Romance, and most of his other works, and his autobiography. He wasn't mad, but pretty eccentric. As a young woman I loved his books, but 50 years on how would I get on with them? I don't know, but would be up for a reread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All right, a run at Powys later this year, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find that a new year tends to be good for overdoing the bookish plans myself. I've really come to appreciate long reads the last few years, although I can't manage to read quite as many as I'd like in a year!

    No real recommendations, although I did read Husain Haddawy's translation of The Arabian Nights (1992), probably about 20 years ago, which is a shorter version of the tales (some of the famous stories such as Aladdin and Ali Baba are not included as, apparently later addition to the group) and as I recall quite enjoyed it.

    Depending on timing, I'd be up to try anything Egyptian, Genji, or Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Haddawy, I love that translation. He put the Aladdin, Ali Baba, and Sinbad stories in a separate volume, since enough people complained about their absence. Kinda funny. The odds are that I will read that translation again. It's great.

    I'll try to signal when I am getting ready for the big books, so people can join in if they like. I hate the idea of putting a schedule on them. We are all experienced readers who can figure that out for ourselves, I assume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think reading at your own pace gives you time to comment, absorb the book, and reflect on it. That's why I love this blog. I don't want to rush if it's a better work to me. Reading is for joy, entertainment and enrichment of one's life, not a race.

      Delete
    2. Yes, what she said! Scheduling, like officious objectivity, is the death of true response.

      Delete
    3. I follow, at a distance or in the case of Rebecca West right now, quite closely, a number of Twitter-run readalongs that are slow slow slow, less than ten pages a day slow. But it seems to work for some people.

      Fast or slow, I want my pace to fit the book, whatever that means.

      Delete
    4. My preference also is always for the pace the fit the book, although I find sometimes I need the "pressure" of a reading group--and perhaps a more accelerated pace--to keep myself from wandering too far off. Too easily distracted...

      Delete
    5. Gosh, I really relate to the last sentence, but I keep a notebook which is organised monthly and record what is on my TBR. I don't pressurise myself so that there is time to put in books, for instance, I'm reading Pope's Dunciad and a book about Pope by George Wilson Knight currently.

      Delete
    6. I read Knight's earlier essay on Pope, in The Burning Oracle (1939), and thought it was outstanding. But I am kind of a Knightian critic.

      Delete
    7. Me too, I worked for Exter University abd he retired to Exeter and lived on ths edge of the Campus. I got to know him, and heard him lecture. I havd most if his books. He was a great personality abd very kind to me. He'd send me a note and invite me to tea and book chat.

      Delete
    8. How pleasing to hear that you knew Knight like that. I am a bit envious.

      Delete
    9. Once he found out I was a serious reader, he liked to tell me books to read, encouraged me in many ways, and ordered 2 books for me from the University Bookshop, which he knew I used. I went in one day after work one day and to pick up a book I had ordered. The girl gave me three, my order , Gorge's The Starlight Dome, and a collection of Coleridge's poems. I got him to sign them later.

      Delete
  12. Sorry about the typos, I really shouldn't post without my glasses. I'll delete and rewrite. Oops, it won't delete.

    Here is the amendment:

    10 pages a day is fine for Pope's Dunciad, which I'm currently, reading as I need to work out what and who he is referring from the annotations, but that is an exception. I like to read several books consecutively, but try to restrict it to 4, and read 150 pages or so in a day. Some books are slow areading s I am an inveterate notetaker, especially with history

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure why I missed Hong lou meng in your blog post. I will be cheering for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do not be too surprised if Story of the Stone becomes one of the Best Books of 2025.

    Pace is so dependent on the book, the mood, the exigencies of life. I have been a slower reader for the last few days. Who knows why.

    Pope is a pleasure to read slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some interesting books are being mentioned now. You are spot on about Pope.

      Delete
  15. I see you have repeated my post, Miloka, but not added a comment. I'm somewhat puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe some kind of bot has come to visit us. I suppose I will delete it. The link in the name likely goes somewhere dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think that people would have something better to do, Tom.

      Delete
  17. I'm think I need new glasses. I have to put in my name each time I comment. I misspelt my own name. Mind I am used to writing Clare E Shepherd in my email so possibly why there are two letter E's

    ReplyDelete